The Bluewater School Board recently provided a unique opportunity for students to participate in workshops focusing on inclusion and kindness at 8 schools in the district.
The sessions were facilitated by Get REAL, a non-profit that works to combat discrimination, racism and bullying in schools, summer camps and workplaces.
The schools that hosted the event were:
- Highpoint Community School, Dundalk
- Beavercrest Community School, Markdale
- Holland-Chatsworth Central School, Holland Centre
- Sullivan Community School, Desboro
- Chelsey District Community School, Chesley
- Kincardine District Senior School, Kincardine
- Elgin Market Public School, Kincardine
- Huron Heights Public School, Kincardine
The event was led by presenters with lived experiences from diverse background, and they taught students how everyone encounters different life struggles, and ways to build compassion, empathy, and peer support.
Another area of focus was the importance of changing and unlearning our language and attitudes around homophobia, racism and sexism.